Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 8

Oh my God, the internet here is sooooooooooo unreliable. I promise I have been trying to post but I could not get on since last time. Anyway, much has happened in the past few days, but I will quickly summarize.



First and most amazingly- we had our first trip to Amboseli yesterday. It was INCREDIBLE. We got to ride around standing up through the roofs of our landcruisers looking at some pretty amazing animals. There were SO MANY ELEPHANTS!!! Like, hundreds! And there were two that were right next to the road which was really cool. We also saw...

- wildebeasts

- Thompson's gazelles

-Grant's gazelles

-water buffalos

-giraffes

-zebras

-impallas

-baboons

-a jackal (or something...)

-hyenas

-warthogs

-waterbucks

-lots of crazy birds

-hippos!!!



But sadly, no lions yet. I will let you all know as soon as that happens...



In other news, I had my first and hopefully only VERY MINOR health scare. I spent 5 hours today waiting at the local free clinic just to confirm what I already pretty much knew: there is nothing wrong with me. I did make some friends, though, in the form of two nine year old girls who spoke a little English and found white people (mzungu) very fascinating. They took the libertry of styling my hair into lopsided pigtails, which all the people waiting found extremely amusing. Moral of the story- try not to take doxycycline with vitamins, try not to take it with dairy (these parts I knew) but whatever you do NEVER TAKE IT WITHOUT FOOD. It will make you throw up and/or pass out. But I repeat, I am FINE, I am in very good hands, and all is very well so please no one worry. Other than that, everything here is wonderful. I am healthy and safe and very, very happy.

2 comments:

  1. put up some photos. and dont get eaten by anything. miss you tarabear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara...didn't your mother tell you never to write anything that had to end with "but, really, don't worry; I am fine; believe me"?! Seriously, I'm glad you're OK. But do read the fine print on those little pieces of paper that come enclosed with medications--they come with them for a reason! :)

    ReplyDelete